Snowy Owl (oz7415)

 

Snowy Owl (oz7415) by AG Lennon from RCMplans 1989 - plan thumbnail

About this Plan

Snowy Owl. Radio control sport model.

Quote: "Snowy Owl is 50-1/2 in long, spans 62-5/8 in and with fuel grosses 104 ounces. Wing loading is 25.8 ounces per square foot of wing area, and power loading with a .40 cubic inch displacement engine is 260 ounces per c.i.d. The wing section is Eppler 195, a thicker version of the E193 that is popular for soarers. The horizontal tail sports NACA 64009 and the vertical surfaces are NACA 64,012 in airfoil section.

Externally hinged slotted flaps occupy roughly 60% of the wing trailing edge. The remaining 40% is reserved for ailerons. These are top surface hinged, are of modified Frise design, and operate differentially. Down travel is one-third of up travel.

Horizontal and vertical tails have control surfaces that are similarly 'one side' hinged which also seals the joint; control horns for all surfaces are internal for reduced drag. This is the fifth of the author's designs to very successfully employ a form of 'Torsion Bar' suspension of the main gear, and a vertically sprung nose wheel. The engine cowling is a two piece ducted unit of epoxy and fiberglass. The small air intake and outlets provide adequate cooling even on very hot days, and reflects a 'turbo-prop' appearance.

The horizontal tail plane is 'T' mounted where it is out of the prop slipstream and most of the wing down wash. The canopy, composed of windshield and fuselage forward top deck, is removable, exposing all five servos, fuel tank, on-board glow plug energizing battery circuit, and nosewheel steering linkage. Similarly the lower engine cowl is easily removable providing access to carburetor and glow plug.

This model, with its long tail arm, generous dihedral and tail surfaces is a superbly stable flier (Photo 4). At half flap deployment, it takes off with a run of twenty feet. Climb-outs are at a 45 degree angle. Landings with flaps fully down are at 'walking speed' (Photo 5). Both forms of drooped wing leading edge ahead of the ailerons permit unusually high angles of attack without any tendency for a wing tip to stall and drop..."

Attached is A.G. Lennon's Snowy Owl from RCM magazine issue 01-89.

Direct submission to Outerzone.

Supplementary file notes

Article pages, text and pics.

Corrections?

Did we get something wrong with these details about this plan (especially the datafile)? That happens sometimes. You can help us fix it.
Add a correction

Snowy Owl (oz7415) by AG Lennon from RCMplans 1989 - model pic

Datafile:
  • (oz7415)
    Snowy Owl
    by AG Lennon
    from RCMplans (ref:1034)
    January 1989 
    62in span
    IC R/C
    all formers complete :)
    got article :)
  • Submitted: 18/01/2016
    Filesize: 1834KB
    Format: • PDFbitmap
    Credit*: theshadow

Snowy Owl (oz7415) by AG Lennon from RCMplans 1989 - pic 003.jpg
003.jpg
Snowy Owl (oz7415) by AG Lennon from RCMplans 1989 - pic 004.jpg
004.jpg

Do you have a photo you'd like to submit for this page? Then email admin@outerzone.co.uk

User comments

No comments yet for this plan. Got something to say about this one?
Add a comment

 

 
 

Download File(s):
  • Snowy Owl (oz7415)
  • Plan File Filesize: 1834KB Filename: Snowy_Owl-RCM-01-89-1034_oz7415.pdf
  • Supplement Filesize: 2525KB Filename: Snowy_Owl-RCM-01-89-1034_oz7415_article.pdf
  • help with downloads
 

Notes

* Credit field

The Credit field in the Outerzone database is designed to recognise and credit the hard work done in scanning and digitally cleaning these vintage and old timer model aircraft plans to get them into a usable format. Currently, it is also used to credit people simply for uploading the plan to a forum on the internet. Which is not quite the same thing. This will change soon. Probably.

Scaling

This model plan (like all plans on Outerzone) is supposedly scaled correctly and supposedly will print out nicely at the right size. But that doesn't always happen. If you are about to start building a model plane using this free plan, you are strongly advised to check the scaling very, very carefully before cutting any balsa wood.

 

Terms of Use

© Outerzone, 2011-2019.

All content is free to download for personal use.

For non-personal use and/or publication: plans, photos, excerpts, links etc may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Outerzone with appropriate and specific direction to the original content i.e. a direct hyperlink back to the Outerzone source page.

Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site's owner is strictly prohibited. If we discover that content is being stolen, we will consider filing a formal DMCA notice.