Australian Record Stick (oz10638)
About this Plan
Australian Record Stick. Rubber competition model.
Quote: "Australian Record Stick. J Stormont - Sydney, NSW Aus. Zaic 1938 Model Aeronautics Yearbook. Redrawn for Old Timer Models, by Hoby Clay.
1. This is a very light model. All wood should be light but stringy if sizes specified by the designer are used. 1/8 sq longerons and 1/16 x 1/8 crossmembers would be less flimsy with minimal added weight. The low-pitch prop and 8-strand motor should be adequate if airframe weight is held to about 4 oz.
2. Build a fuselage top crutch directly on the top view, curves drawn are not critical. Let the longerons assume natural shapes within reason and symmetry cut and cement the side pieces for the four formers on the sections drawn when the crutch has set up, remove pins holding the forward section and block up at the front 5/8 in. Cement the four key formers in place, making sure they are vertical. When set, cement on the lower longeron. Carefully cut and mount the remaining uprights fill-in the nose and rear reg bays sheeting.
3. No dethermalizer was used on the original model. 1/16 sh cut 2 in wide to form a platform for the stab with conventional hooks would be suitable. Crossmembers or bracing at the stab leading edge will be needed to prevent crushing the rear longerons with the hold-down bands.
4. 3 degrees incidence specified. A 3/32 x 1/8 strip cemented at the lower spar exactly gives that angle strap on the wing with rubber strip and slide fore or aft for best glide.
5. Bamboo tips were used for the prototype three moulded laminations of 1/32 x 3/32 for the tail and four for wing tips would be a suitable alternate. "
Scan from DBHL, cleanup by theshadow.
Direct submission to Outerzone.
Did we get something wrong with these details about this plan (especially the datafile)?
That happens sometimes. You can help us fix it.
Add a correction
Do you have a photo you'd like to submit for this page? Then email email@example.com
User commentsNo comments yet for this plan. Got something to say about this one?
Add a comment
* Credit field
The Credit field in the Outerzone database is designed to recognise and credit the hard work done in scanning and digitally cleaning these vintage and old timer model aircraft plans to get them into a usable format. Currently, it is also used to credit people simply for uploading the plan to a forum on the internet. Which is not quite the same thing. This will change soon. Probably.
This model plan (like all plans on Outerzone) is supposedly scaled correctly and supposedly will print out nicely at the right size. But that doesn't always happen. If you are about to start building a model plane using this free plan, you are strongly advised to check the scaling very, very carefully before cutting any balsa wood.
© Outerzone, 2011-2019.
All content is free to download for personal use.
For non-personal use and/or publication: plans, photos, excerpts, links etc may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Outerzone with appropriate and specific direction to the original content i.e. a direct hyperlink back to the Outerzone source page.
Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site's owner is strictly prohibited. If we discover that content is being stolen, we will consider filing a formal DMCA notice.